- About Dr. Jackson
- Quick Quotes from Dr. Jackson
- Jackson's Bookshelf
- Superintendent Goals & Objectives
- Success: La Porte ISD's Commitment
- Superintendent Presentations
Dr. Walter Jackson has served in public education for 27 years; he has served as a teacher, assistant principal, middle and high school principal, area superintendent, and currently superintendent of schools in La Porte ISD.
He is the first African American superintendent in the 100-plus year history of La Porte ISD. Jackson held the same distinction for five years in his previous superintendent role in Brenham — the oldest school district in Texas.
Dr. Jackson has an impressive history of exemplary public school leadership, In 2009, he was named the Region 4 High School Principal of the Year. The National School Public Relations Association in 2017 named him one of 20 superintendents to watch in the nation. In 2019, he was named as the Region 6 Superintendent of the Year and was a finalist for TASB’s State Superintendent of the Year.
Prior to leading Brenham ISD, Dr. Jackson worked in Alief ISD for 21 years as a teacher, principal, and area superintendent.
Dr. Jackson has taught master’s and doctoral courses for the University of Houston, University of Houston-Clear Lake, and has served as a field advisor and executive leadership coach for Rice University graduate students. An articulate and gifted public speaker, he has served as lecturer and presenter on key education topics at both state and national conferences.
Dr. Jackson holds a bachelor’s degree from Texas Southern University, a Master of Education in Administration from Prairie View A&M University, and a Doctor of Education from Baylor University. His post-graduate studies have taken him to the Harvard Graduate School of Education on four different occasions, where he earned the university’s esteemed Professional Leadership Certificate. Jackson also earned an Advanced Management Certificate from Rice University.
Dr. Jackson is an alumnus of Education Class III of the American Leadership Forum Houston-Galveston Chapter. He is a member of the 2012 class of Leadership Houston and is also a graduate to the National SUPES Academy, a Chicago-based superintendent preparation program. Jackson has additionally completed the Thompson Executive Leadership Institute through the Region 13 Service Center.
In February 2020, Dr. Jackson was selected as one of only 20 U.S. recipients to receive the prestigious Fulbright International Fellowship to travel to Singapore as a Fulbright Scholar. This Fellowship was halted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Jackson plans to resume his Fulbright Fellowship research and studies in the future.
A passionate lifelong learner, Dr. Jackson’s love of learning and leading has supported his travels to learn and research international school systems such as: China, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Austria, Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
Professional and Service Organizations
He currently serves on the board of directors of the TASB Risk Management Fund, UIL Legislative Council, Texas Association of School Administrators, and recently at Baylor Scott & White Hospital.
Dr. Jackson is a Rotarian Paul Harris Fellow, with plans to join the La Porte Rotary Club, La Porte-Bayshore Chamber of Commerce and La Porte Education Foundation
Dr. Jackson describes himself as a “cultural strategist” and “equity warrior,” always seeking to create opportunities for students to take advantage of the public education system while pursuing the American Dream. He strongly believes that a child’s destiny is not determined by zip code, and that there’s nothing impossible to the people that believe in the transformative powers of a Great God and a good education. Students are afforded one time to be in school. Dr. Jackson believes it is the role of professional educators to make this the most positive and impactful experience for all students.
Dr. Jackson and his wife Tanya have been married for 24 years, and are the proud parents of daughter Bailey, a sophomore at La Porte High School, and son Braelin, a junior at Texas College in Tyler. Dr. Jackson enjoys attending local churches, community, sporting and social events, and visiting schools to meet students and teachers on a regular schedule.
“Educators are the architects of the future, the master builders of our democracy. Texas public school educators inspire more than 5.4 million students annually. Together, we will rebuild our economy and a more perfect union by igniting the light in our students’ consciousness.”
“If you want your child to be successful support our teachers. Make no doubt about it, whether it’s virtual or face-to-face instruction this fall, our teachers, principals and support staff will make it happen with sincere resolve and unequivocal excellence!”
"The sun never sets on a La Porte Bulldog."
"La Porte is the best-kept secret in the Bay Area."
"Today is a great day to be a Bulldog!""Bulldog Nation is the home of champions."
“Sometimes you have to speak truth into power about poverty, equity, and about what it means to help every child succeed. All really means all.”
A La Porte ISD Learner . . .
will be held to high standards, and expectations;
will be literate, self-reflective, and a life-long learner;
will be motivated and determined to persevere in the face of adversity; and
will be a productive and ethical citizen who makes a positive impact on society
Meaningful Work and Meaningful Relationships
The superintendent strongly believes in building and sustaining meaningful relationships with all stakeholders. Making sure every child and teacher in the district gets to know the superintendent is the goal.
The superintendent will work collaboratively with the Board of Trustees to lead the district toward continued excellence.
The superintendent will conduct regular visits to campuses and departments.
The superintendent will be engaged in local organizations: Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, and various advisory boards.
Effective Communication & Transparency
Dr. Jackson strongly believes that communication is key when working to strengthen the teaching and learning process. He will work to communicate with stakeholders through:
- written form, social media, videos, superintendent chats, blogs, and print and news media.
- He will Serve as strong public education advocates at the local, state and national level
- Dr. Jackson will promote the La Porte Way! throughout our district, region and state
Culture of academic excellence
- We will attract, retain and develop staff to prepare students to compete in a global society.
- We will exceed state standards and work to develop all students to reach their academic potential.
- We will push to increase the number of students enrolled in the Gifted & Talented and Advanced Placement programs.
- We will promote the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) fields
- We will promote students’ active engagement in athletics, performing and visual arts.
- We will produce high school graduates who are college, career or military ready.
Health & Safety
- Student and staff health, safety and security are our primary responsibility and concern.
- We will continue to develop district protocols and guidelines that promote good health, hygiene, and safety.
Teaching and Learning
- We will operate under the mantra “Above All, Students First!”
- We will develop and embrace a growth mindset that stimulates collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, and communication.
- We will develop a plan to foster a learning environment that values professional autonomy, collaboration, and trust.
- We will meet and exceed TEA accountability standards by providing consistent quality first-line teaching.
- We will ensure that a quality teacher is in every classroom.
- We will ensure that a quality principal/leader leads every campus.
Human Talent & Engagement
- We will create an environment that hires and retains quality staff at all levels.
- We will develop a comprehensive employee retention plan to acknowledge the value of our staff.
- We will provide multiple opportunities for staff engagement and professional collaboration.
- We will analyze and examine current trends and initiatives to balance employee workloads and responsibilities.
Facilities & Operations
- We will transform learning spaces to optimize student learning in a safe and secure environment.
- We will analyze, review, and regularly update safety measures and initiatives.
- We will develop plans to transform learning spaces to foster collaboration, innovation and increased student engagement.
Communications, Public Relations & Community Involvement
- The district will create parent and community partnerships to promote educational opportunities, innovation, and growth for all learners.
- The district will provide teaming and virtual opportunities to improve home-to-school relationships.